Inspired by a visit of the Martha Graham Dance Company to Britain in March 1954, The Place was founded in 1969.
The founders were Robin Howard, a philanthropist and enthusiast for modern dance, and American choreographer Sir Robert Cohan who was appointed as artistic director. In a building in Euston, The Place became the first home for contemporary dance in the UK. The following images are from The Place’s in-house collection, with support from Sir Richard Alston and Anthony Van Laast CBE.
Click on the gallery images to view our archive photos from The Place's inception in 1969.