Tune in online for this selection of captivating dance films made by Korean artists.
From a gentle, quirky exploration of a Seoul neighbourhood to a dazzling sprint through a bunch of dance manuals, this programme offers a chance to step into real places and imagined worlds. Each film describes its unique universe, by turns inquisitive; rigorous; moving; playful.
The programme has been curated by Gitta Wigro, a freelance dance film programmer and course leader for the on the Screendance MA at London Contemporary Dance School (maternity cover 2020-2021).
- A Town with a Blue Hill / PungJeong.Gak | director & choreographer Joowon Song | Republic of Korea | 2018 | 15mins 27secs
A poetic depiction of an invisible village under the desperate threat of urban regeneration.
- BOOKANIMA | director Shon Kim | Republic of Korea | 2020 | 7mins 31secs
This charming animation gives old books new cinematic life as it flicks through pages of different dance styles.
- ZZZ | director & choreographer CACTUSPILLOW / Seungjung Seong | Republic of Korea | 2019 | 6mins 37secs
A playful film based on the tricky challenge of catching a mosquito.
- Plicker | director Byungjun Kim | choreographer Dabin Seo | Republic of Korea | 2017 | 2mins 44secs
A beautiful representation of time and space visualised in movement and film.
- White Cane | director & choreographer Bö Lee | Republic of Korea / Kenya / Germany | 2017 | 8mins 17secs
This captivating film sees a man take a walk through a Kenyan market and create movement inspired by the experiences he encounters along the way.
- Blue Breath | director Jo Yoon-su | choreographer Kim Modeun | Republic of Korea | 2017 | 4mins 39secs
"I came to think about the existence of dust that can not be seen in space." Using the medium of film to capture detail that stage performances cannot, the artist asks for compassion for what is forgotten.
Total Duration: approx. 45mins
How to watch
Simply visit this page and tune in online on Fri 4 Dec at 8pm. The films will be available to watch until Fri 11 Dec 2020.